I am kicking of Scrappy Saturdays with my layout Ahoy Matie!
I have completed a layout with a Pirate theme for both of my children. We do a lot of dress up's at our house. Book week, Halloween you name any excuse to dress up!
So I had to come up with a cute layout for my two buccaneers. I have incorporated stamping and scrapbooking using Copic Markers colouring a Buccaneer Marci stamp and this is what I came up with! I just loved this image and it reminds me of my daughter so it was a must to have on my scrapbooking layout. I will be doing the exact same layout for my son using the Pirate Luka stamp. I like to keep things even in my house!
To begin with I chose my colour scheme. I opted for browns and blues to represent the colours of pirates, wooden ships, blue skies and ocean waters.
The next thing I did is worked on how I wanted the papers too look. Texture was important. So working with a corrugated card stock I distressed the sides with my Making Memories distressing tool and used Chocolate Chip and Early Expresso inks from Stampin Up to create an aged effect. (These particular inks are easy to use and come in a great range of colours).
I then chose the main card stock that I wanted to use for my layout. I selected a lovely dark brown and light blue polka dot card stock from Rusty Pickle. This worked in perfect with my colour scheme. I selected light baby blue card stock to for the photos to be mounted onto. Using the same distressing tool I distressed the edges and used the inks to age the card. To make the labels Arghh I soaked cream card stock in tea to give it an aged effect. This is a great technique which really helps paper to look aged and worn. To do this all you need is your card stock you wish to age, a few tea bags and a baking try. Get your tea ready in the tray and place your paper in the tea, leave it to soak a minute or two once your paper is the desired colour then remove it from the tea. Once dry I then tore the paper into the shape I wanted and stamped it with the word Arghh from the clear cling stamp set by Paper Craft Pirates & Princess.
Using the left over paper from my labels I made the centre piece for my layout using an epoxy compass sticker from Creative Imaginations Scrapbooking Signature Collection to tie it together.
To create a real pirate feel I decided to make a treasure map to go onto my layout. To begin with I soaked my cream card stock using the same tea method helping to give my paper the aged look. Before allowing it to dry I crinkled the paper very carefully as it can tear being still wet. I then flattened it out a little not too much and I allowed it to dry. Once dry I tore the edges of the map to help make it look authentic. The next step I sketched the map with pencil. When I was happy with how it looked I then outlined my map with fine permanent water proof black pen. I like to use the Copic Multiliner 0.3. The next step involved painting my map with water colour paints to give it a colourful yet worn look. While the paint was still damp I shaped my map rolling the edges on the left under and on the right upwards. This is the best time to shape your map as when it dries it sits perfectly on your page.To finish the map off I used my Chocolate Chip ink around the edges of the map.
Because this particular layout is for my daughter I wanted it do be a little girlie. I coloured my Marci stamp with pinks, brown and teals. Using the following Copic colours.
For Marci's hat and shirt I used RV32, RV93, RV95, R39.
For Marci's skirt B0000, BG72, BG75.
For her shirt colar and sleeves I used B0000, BG72, BG75.
For Marci's boots, belt and vest I used E71, E74.
For the buttons on her boots and vest I used Y26 and Y28.
For the buckle on her belt I used B0000, BG72 and BG75.
For the skull on her hat I used E71 and E74.
For her bag and telescope I used E71, E74, W6 and W7.
For her hair I used Y0000, Y00, Y02, Y26, Y28, YR27 and E74 for depth.
For Marci's skin I used E000, E00, E02 and E11.
Her lips and cheeks I used RV10.
For her earrings I used Y02 and Y28.
I then distressed the edges of the stamped image with my distress tool and used my Chocolate Chip and Expresso ink to age the card stock. Once happy with the stamped image I mounted it onto blue glitter card stock from DCWV which I also distressed around the edges and inked. To finish the stamped image I used an epoxy sticker YO HO YO HO from the Creative Imaginations Scrapbooking Signature Collection.
The next step involved assembly of my page. I played around with placement. Getting a feel for what looked right.
Happy with how everything was placed I started gluing and using foam sticky dots to put everything into place.
To finish my layout off I needed a title for my Page. I always remember my little boy Jostyn when dressed in his pirate get up crying out Ahoy Matie! So it only seemed appropriate I used this phrase.
My final layout. To finish it off I placed the brown and gold flower card stock from DCVW on the area where the photos are to be placed. This really finished the page off nicely. Especially with the gold flowers! Around the edge of the photos I also drew stitching.
I hope you like my layout! Thanks for looking.